It's been nearly 2 months since I've posted. For the most part, I've been busy enjoying my little man's company. I figured it was about time to get down to business though. Griffin is 3 and 1/2 months old and is changing by the minute. I feel a little guilty saying that I'm glad the newborn stage is over, but to be totally honest, I am relieved that we made it through.
However, as any parent will tell you, each stage comes with its new set of challenges as well as things to be celebrated. While saying good riddance to the newborn stage and welcoming the next, I decided to reflect on Griffin's short life so far. The first 3 months of Griffin's life were the steepest learning curve I've ever experienced. Our first days together started with me being terrified that this fragile little being now in my care was going to be damaged by Riley's and my inexperience with newborns. We spent time trying to figure out why he was crying, learning to breastfeed, and experiencing many firsts with Griff - his first bath, first car ride, first walk outside, first smile, and first plane ride, among many others. It's been pretty amazing watching him grow and become a little human being. He is no longer just a strange little creature that cries, sleeps, pees, poops and eats. He is now a tiny person who interacts with us and is learning new things every day.
We continue to struggle with sleep, despite the fact that I was sure 3 months was the magic number - after this point, everything would get easier (this is what I told myself, and others told me as well). Since then, the magical age has been moved up to 6 months, but I am no longer naive enough to believe this. I now know that as soon as we slay one dragon, we will have another beast to face. I suppose this is the never-ending cycle of parenthood!
Haha, if it's not one thing, it's another...no matter if you're brand new at it, or have a few kiddos under your belt!! Just remember, it's not always going to be the challenges that you weren't expecting, but triumphs too!!
ReplyDelete