As my thoughts turned darker and I became less able to cope with Griffin's fussing and crying, I wondered if this was postpartum depression. Was ppd at play when you wished you hadn't had a baby? When you yelled at your crying baby to stop crying and just go to sleep? When every ability you thought you had as a mother seemed to be torn down? I wasn't sure if I was in fact depressed, or if severe sleep deprivation was playing with my brain, personality, and coping mechanisms. Maybe it was a bit of both. But it was clear I needed to do something about it.
First of all, I talked to my mom - she's always there to listen and give me honest feedback when I ask for it. I also talked to a friend at my mom's group - she had dealt with ppd with her second child and knew what I was going through. Talking to her really helped, as I knew that I wasn't the only who had ever felt like this before. I also talked to Riley about how I was feeling and found the support I needed from him.
Lastly, I looked into placenta encapsulation. I wasn't sure if I was going to include this part in my blog post, as I know how some people perceive this, but I decided that if this blog was to act as my online journal, then I needed to talk about it. There is a lot of research behind the benefits of placenta encapsulation and we kept my placenta after our home birth for this reason. Up until recently, I didn't think we'd need to use it. Now I'm not so sure. Did you know that humans are the only mammal that doesn't consume their placenta after birth? Here is a link to just one of many great websites with more information: http://placentabenefits.info/biological.asp
While trying to decide whether to do the placenta encapsulation or not, I am still taking other measures to deal with how I've been feeling. I'm trying to take people up on their offers to watch Griffin for a few hours so I can get some sleep during the day. I'm also trying to remember to be patient - my head tells me that it won't be like this forever, but in the middle of the night, when I'm getting up for the 6th time, it can be difficult to have patience.
In the meantime, I'm still extremely sleep deprived and have decided that if I am ever brave enough to have another baby, I will definitely do placenta encapsulation right away. If nothing else, maybe it will improve my coping mechanisms when I am once again suffering through severe sleep deprivation.
I am thankful that I have a healthy, (mostly) happy baby and I don't regret becoming a mother. Patience is definitely a virtue, as they say, and I am trying to have more of it. When I think about the possibility of being this sleep deprived for a year or more, I get a little panicky, so one day at a time (sometimes one hour at a time) helps. I still don't know if I have ppd or if I am just a victim of severe sleep deprivation, but for now, I guess it doesn't matter. What matters is that I love my baby and that I try to be the best mom I can be by taking offers of help, being patient, and remembering that there are others our there worse off than me.
First of all, I talked to my mom - she's always there to listen and give me honest feedback when I ask for it. I also talked to a friend at my mom's group - she had dealt with ppd with her second child and knew what I was going through. Talking to her really helped, as I knew that I wasn't the only who had ever felt like this before. I also talked to Riley about how I was feeling and found the support I needed from him.
Lastly, I looked into placenta encapsulation. I wasn't sure if I was going to include this part in my blog post, as I know how some people perceive this, but I decided that if this blog was to act as my online journal, then I needed to talk about it. There is a lot of research behind the benefits of placenta encapsulation and we kept my placenta after our home birth for this reason. Up until recently, I didn't think we'd need to use it. Now I'm not so sure. Did you know that humans are the only mammal that doesn't consume their placenta after birth? Here is a link to just one of many great websites with more information: http://placentabenefits.info/biological.asp
While trying to decide whether to do the placenta encapsulation or not, I am still taking other measures to deal with how I've been feeling. I'm trying to take people up on their offers to watch Griffin for a few hours so I can get some sleep during the day. I'm also trying to remember to be patient - my head tells me that it won't be like this forever, but in the middle of the night, when I'm getting up for the 6th time, it can be difficult to have patience.
In the meantime, I'm still extremely sleep deprived and have decided that if I am ever brave enough to have another baby, I will definitely do placenta encapsulation right away. If nothing else, maybe it will improve my coping mechanisms when I am once again suffering through severe sleep deprivation.
I am thankful that I have a healthy, (mostly) happy baby and I don't regret becoming a mother. Patience is definitely a virtue, as they say, and I am trying to have more of it. When I think about the possibility of being this sleep deprived for a year or more, I get a little panicky, so one day at a time (sometimes one hour at a time) helps. I still don't know if I have ppd or if I am just a victim of severe sleep deprivation, but for now, I guess it doesn't matter. What matters is that I love my baby and that I try to be the best mom I can be by taking offers of help, being patient, and remembering that there are others our there worse off than me.
Amanda I Do not want to tell you what to do, but I truly belive Griffen is not getting the nourishment he needs. I know you want to do things by the book ,but babies are not meant to be raised that way. y ou wish to keep on nursing him ,which is fine ,but supplimenting him with formula will not make you any less of a goog mother.Also introducing him to solids would be a good idea now.Just try it , if things dont change then all us experienced Moms are wrong. W ishing you all the best of luck in trying different solutions . W orried about you. Love You and your family.
ReplyDeleteBernie,
ReplyDeleteWhile I appreciate your suggestion and experience raising babies, I have to respectfully disagree. If Griffin wasn't getting the nourishment he needs, he wouldn't be growing as well as he is. He wouldn't be hitting the milestones that he has, he wouldn't have the ample amount of wet and dirty diapers that he does, and he wouldn't be learning the things he's been learning. I don't believe that supplementing Griffin with formula would make me a bad mother, I just don't believe the problem is that he is hungry. While I believe it's important to be educated about child rearing, I am not trying to do things "by the book". Riley and I are doing what we feel is right for Griffin and our family. When Griffin is around 6 months old, we will try solids, but for now breastmilk is all he will be getting and it's all he needs. Thank you for your concern. We will continue to work on solutions to help Griffin sleep better and will keep you posted.
Lots of love,
Amanda